Dr. Axton Betz-Hamilton was a victim of identity theft and wrote a book about the experience called “The Less People Know About Us: A Mystery of Betrayal, Family Secrets, and Stolen Identity.”
Dr. Betz-Hamilton is now a professor at South Dakota State University specializing in identity theft.
- Isolated and moved around because of identity theft of her parents
- Axton was over half a million dollars in debt.
- Only found out the identity of the thief after her mom died.
- Parents can freeze credit reports
- Parents should check all three credit reports for each child.
- If you’ve been a victim of Identity theft:
- File a police report
- Freeze your credit
- Get a counselor.